Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Calling

As I sat before the Lord this morning listening to the song “The Great I Am”, I remember the impact Exodus 3 had upon me where Moses asks the Lord, “And they ask me, ‘What is his name’” to which God replies, “I AM WHO I AM”. It then occurred to me that we are made in His image, the image of “I AM”. The simplicity of God’s answer belies the power in it.Often this is the way of the Lord, power in simplicity. Where we
The Mountain of God - Mt Horeb
want to make things complicated, His desire is to make them simple. His commands are direct and uncomplicated and yet we fill them with complexity. He gave me a book title once, “Simple Not Easy”. The book was to speak of how God’s commands are simple but not easy for us to obey. We often have much to overcome in order to be able to obey the Lord. Such was the case with the saints from Hebrews 11 as well.

In Genesis 3 and 4 we see an example in Moses’ conversation with the Lord. Moses is drawn by a burning bush that is not consumed by the fire. In my own experience I have found that God draws me and never pushes me. Moses, curious about the bush is startled to hear the voice of God emanate from the bush. After telling Moses that He has heard the cries of His people He gives Moses h
is mission, “So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.” Direct and to the point. Go and free my people. Moses, surely haven taken account of himself, declares that he
Mt Horeb
is unfit, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh?” Moses understood the mission but shrinks from the job and so it has been with me when called upon by my Father. How often do we ask this question ourselves, “Who am I?” or do we simply ignore His desires placed upon our hearts and minds because we don’t believe He could or would be calling us.

Undaunted by Moses’ proclamation of inadequacy, the Lord declares, “I will be with you.” Moses knowing that he is standing before God asks Him, who should I say sent me? I’ve done this. Not knowing how to get out of something, I will stall to try and come up with an acceptable reason not to do what I have been asked to do. After telling Moses what to say, He gives Moses a promise for the Israelites, “And I have promised to bring you up out of your misery in Egypt into … a land flowing with milk and honey.” God follows this with a prophetic vision of how He will do this.

Moses appears to still be intent on not going. I know how he feels for I have felt much like this but I have found that in simple obedience the most wondrous joy follows. In doubt Moses asks, “What if they do not believe me?” The Lord then gives Moses the instrument of deliverance. It is Moses’ own staff. How often have I gone to the Lord and asked for some deliverance to then be shown that I held the key all along. God then instructs Moses how to use it. My mind immediately goes to Ephesians 6:10 where Paul shows us the Armor of God.

Hoping to encourage a reluctant Moses, God tells him to put his hand in his cloak. Moses obeys and finds what must have been shocking to him – a leprous hand “white as snow”. God now tells him to put his hand back in his cloak and when he removes it, it was restored. The Lord tells Moses about the other miracles He will perform in Egypt. Still Moses is not signing up for this mission. He insists that he is not the one because he has “never been eloquent” even after the Lord has spoken to him. “The Lord said to him, ‘Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.’ But Moses said, ‘O Lord, please send someone else to do it.’ Then God’s anger burned against Moses.” Still God is loving and compassionate. He tells him that his brother Aaron will go and speak for him. Then in encouragement says, “take this staff in your hand so you can perform miraculous signs with it.”

Although I am not Moses, I have had similar conversations with God about far lesser things. When God calls us we can obey, we can argue, or we can deny. God is calling us now. We were made for such a time as this. Prayerfully consider what God asks of you. By you I mean each and every one of us. We are made in His image, in His “I AM” image. We are made for the wonder of God to be used in His service. Rise to His calling for you. He has made you for this calling and anointed you to be able to perform His calling.

Moses finally accepts the mission. Whether he did so with gladness in his heart or with reluctance we don’t know. He simply obeyed. It was a struggle for Moses and it was not easy for him to accept the mantel which God had lovingly woven for him.

Mountain Range around Mt Horeb
In the struggle he had experienced God’s encouragement and anger as well as God’s resolve that he was the one chosen. Could Moses have chosen not accept the mission? God has given us a free will to accept or not accept any mission put before us. We must choose just as we must choose the salvation that Jesus offers.

As brothers and sisters in Christ, we travel a road together. We are anointed to fulfill God’s will on the earth, to bring heaven to the earth, “your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” Let us join in expectation of the fulfillment of God’s Word throughout the world. Let us gather the “staff” that God has given each of us and perform miracles throughout the land!

As I reread this I know that there will be those who read it that are hurting. Their health is not good, their finances are in a shambles, their relationships a mess, and many other difficult things. From my experience it doesn’t matter where you are today, you have a calling. If we were to wait for the perfect time or the perfect situation or for peace or energy or health or whatever, none of us would answer the call. Our Father can and will use us in whatever condition we find ourselves. For some, answering the calling is the way out of the circumstance. For others answering the calling, eases the circumstances. For many, I suspect, that answering the calling renews and restores their hope and faith. I have walked through the valley of the shadow of death. My body was so weak that I could not move and yet God used me in that condition to touch the lives of His children. My challenge to you is to reflect upon that which you have and not that which you don’t have. You always have the Lord. You always have Jesus and He loves you deeply and unconditionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment